November is National Adoption Awareness Month! There are many ways to become involved and to celebrate. Here are just a few…
1. Save the Adoption Tax Credit! www.adoptiontaxcredit.org. As of January 1, 2013 we will no longer have an adoption tax credit unless we take a stand. This tax credit is extremely important to adoptive families.
2. Print the handout, “8 Myths About Adoption,” from www.adoptivefamilies.com/outreach. Distribute it in your community, school, or place of worship to create a factual dialog about adoption.
3. November 17th is National Adoption Day! Send good wishes to these forever families!
4. Print, “Accurate Adoption Language,” from www.adoptivefamilies.com/pdf/stylebook.pdf. Send this document to your local newspaper or share it with friends, family, and co-workers. It is so important to use accurate adoption language when speaking on the topic. Ex: Do not use the terms: real mother and real father. Instead use: birthmother and birthfather.
5. Shop with meaning this holiday season! Purchase gifts that donate proceeds to adoption or children’s chairities. Find gifts that give back at www.adoptivefamilies.com/givingback.